Monday, January 30

recovering

Snowboarding didn't go as planned. After four days, I was going to be catching air and ripping it up. As it turned out, I slammed my head into the mountain three slopes into it the first night and ended up in the hospital with a concussion. Yes, I had a helmet on. My weekend of kick ass snowboarding became a weekend of headaches, nausea and cabin fever in West Virginia.

10 days later, I am finally back to work still with minor headaches and in a constant but minor daze. According to the doctors, I'm supposed to be 100% in another week or so. According to Andrea, Concussion Champion of 2005, it could be longer. We'll see.

Thanks to all of my friends that have helped me out. Especially Dan, who knows bad snowboarding when he sees it, Darci who could verify that all my answers to the ski patrol's questions we in fact wrong, Currie who drank enough Absinthe to seem way more out of it that me, and everyone one else up at Snowshoe who kept things light by making me laugh the rest of the weekend. I couldn't have asked to be debilitated around a better group of people.

Thanks to Steven, Janet and Jenny for stopping by to make sure I was okay and for driving me around all week. Thanks to Anne-Marie for getting me things so I didn't have to get off the couch, Charlie for taking over the project at work that I took so he wouldn't have to, Maureen for figuring out the secret to unlimited sick days, and to everyone that sent get well emails. And lastly, thanks to April for the beautiful flowers and to Shaun and of course Andrea for being so sensitive to the situation...

"i just called shelly and told her that her name was yolanda and her favorite thing to do was clean my house. apparently her concussion isn't that bad... she seems to be in good spirits, partly due to the drugs she got from the doctor, partly due to getting a week off work, but mostly due to the unexpected entertainment value of everything bright and shiny around the house. april, if you need a good laugh after a long hard day, call shelly tonight and ask her specific and difficult questions revolving around her having to remember something in great detail. awesome...

i tried to send her good thoughts, janet, but they all came back stamped "return to sender." guess no one was home! LOL!! wow, i really am as insensitive as they all say. ;)"

Laughter really is the best medicine. It's leaps and bounds better than Tylenol. Vicodin is also good.

4 Comments:

At 4:42 PM, Blogger april said...

i'm so glad you're back! i was tired of reading those quotes from the golden globes!

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger SaraRow said...

oh man, concussions suck. glad to hear folks are taking care of you and gleaning some entertainment from your painful experience. silver lining and all, you know. i hope they gave you good drugs and that you're back to your non-headache-y self soon.

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger cassi said...

thank goodness you're back to the blog! now i know you're definitely feeling better! i'm thinking of wearing a helmet around all day, everyday, just in case.

 
At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man! That green stuff will mess you up. I thought I had a concussion and you were drinking absinthe! I know my head and ass were scorched the next day, and I had trouble telling them apart. We may need a competent third party to verify your story.

I am glad you're feeling better; let me know when you want some 160-proof liquor to help the vicodin go down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home