Friday, September 8

i've been reading real good

Now that Steven's made it clear it's a race. I'm in it to win it.

Finished three books this week: Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut, Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi and Persepolis 2 by Marjane Satrapi. And I'm aiming to finish another over the weekend.

Yes, I realize that none of these are in the "Still Remaining" list (see Stacks) and therefore I've broken my resolve. "Shelly, I had such faith in your will! How could you," you say?

1) Book club. One of the better things I've created in my life. I can't pick them all, so I'm forced to read other selections. Forced I tell you.
2) Powell's City of Books, Portland, OR. On approach, I was a little disappointed. The building seemed old and a bit industrial on first appearance. The sign is in need of a little cleaning and minor repair, but hey it's an independent bookstore. The books are what count. Then I entered. On the inside - books as far as the eye can see. I spent over an hour in the children's section alone. Not all temptations can be overcome.

About the books... I hadn't read any Vonnegut before, so I now I have. Quick and easy read. I enjoyed it. Maybe I'll read another.

Persepolis. Great, funny, poinient, horrifying, maddening, truthful. Persepolis 2 is essentially the rest of the story simply in separate binding. These are the first graphic novels that I've ever read. The pictures definitly provide another dimension to story telling that you don't get with just the written word. Of course the author's visual point of view immediately enrichens the readers understanding and and the emotions seem more vivid and raw.

Both books provide an insight into the Iranian/Persian point of view that is not included in Western news and media coverage: the struggle of women in the Islamic revolution/regime as well as the people as a whole. One can really find sympathy for the Iranian citizens in the present Iran vs. the western world situation and what seems to be the inevitable if recent actions by western leaders as well as their own are any indication.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home