Wednesday, April 6

exclusive interview


Jimbo
Originally uploaded by shelliphied.

About a year ago, JimK was approached by Georgia Tech Crew for an alumni spotlight piece for the newsletter. Unfortunately, the next edition that came out (last week), did not include his revealing interview.

Due to my indepth and relentless search for truth, I am able to print this lost treasure for you here. A true shelliphied exclusive.

This interview was not edited.

1) When did you join the crew team and why did you decide to join initially?

The first 2 years of my college life were spent at UGA, I know I know. A couple of my high school friends had joined the crew team where they decided to go to school and could not talk enough about it and how intense and amazing it was. So when I transferred to GT I decided to try it for myself in the fall of '98. I remember one of the first practices that I attended was held right outside of SAC on the grass. We did all sorts of exercises: jumpies, man-makers, push ups and on and on. When practice was over I couldn't move or walk for about 15 minutes, seriously. Ethan at the time was the men's novice coach and he came up to me when everyone was pretty much gone and encouraged me to stick with it and talked me up off the ground and to the next practice. To this day, I'm not sure I would have stuck with rowing if it weren't for Ethan's spirit that day. I thank him for that.


2) Fill in the blank: The aspect of GT Crew that has affected the rest of my life is...

Spandex.


3) Fill in the blank: When I rowed _____(a)_____ (the name of a boat you rowed in while at tech), I felt like ____(b)____ because _____(c)____.

a) the mixed 8 at Georgia Games, I think it may have been in the Cab,

b) the frantic and the furious

c) not only was it one of the craziest most uncomfortable rows ever, it was also one of the most exciting, fun and memorable races. Taking home the coveted bronze medal in an epic three boat race, it was a historic moment for GT Crew.


4) Where are you now, and what are you doing?

I live in Savannah and work for Gulfstream - makers of wicked awesome airplanes for the rich and fabulous.


5) Just for fun, what was your least favorite workout while you were on the team?

My favorite practices by far were the water practices. Rowing is a beautiful sport and feeling the boat run underneath you can't be matched. No matter how much I enjoyed the water practices there was no enjoyment when we had freezing cold morning water practices. I would always pray for lighting, fog, abduction, tsunami - anything just to get out of one of those practices. When I was a novice, we flipped as we pushed off the dock. It was 34 degrees that morning. Remember to never get in the boat with your oar behind you, that's big no no. On the plus side, practice was cut short.


6) What do you wish to see for the future of GT Crew?

Just keep on keeping on. I cherished every moment on the team as it was. My wish is that all the rowers can take with them the experiences and memories that I have and continue to enjoy - attending alumni picnics, prom parties at Cassi's, spur of the moment trips to D.C., regattas, pirate birthday parties, weddings, etc. All the amazing friends I have the pleasure of knowing is what I love so much about the team. None of that would be possible if it weren't for Crew.

2 Comments:

At 6:26 AM, Blogger Heidi said...

I love it! how come they didn't post it in the newsletter???

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger cassi said...

i can post it on the website... do i have permission?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home